Sunday, June 5, 2011

I haven't been blogging---and this is why

As many of you know, I have been MIA from the blogosphere for awhile and I wanted to share why. Most of you also know that I don't talk a lot about my job/work on my blog, but for this, I'm making an exception.

My firm has been working on this project for the last few months and I was the lead account person on it, along with my boss, so it has been very close to my heart.

We planned and executed a breast cancer survivor flash mob which happened yesterday on June 4th.  Today, June 5th, is National Cancer Survivors Day.

It took place at the Galleria mall in Houston, in front of Macy's. We are so thankful for their support of this amazing effort.


Here's the best part---not only did our flash mob feature more than 200 women total, with about half being breast cancer survivors, GLORIA GAYNOR herself, sang her disco hit "I Will Survive" live at the event.  I am just still in shock and awe at how incredible this was.

The emails I am getting from the amazing women who participated in this dance tribute leave me in tears and I feel incredibly blessed to have been a part of this. For a lot of these survivors, this experience was very healing---giving them an opportunity to celebrate being cancer-free in a fun and exiciting way. They declared to the world---"I WILL Survive!"



Because breast cancer is a disease that strikes one in eight women, the goal of this flash mob was to raise awareness and celebrate survivors. It also launched philanthropist Lester Smith’s PinkWell Challenge, a national campaign symbolized by an active pink pump jack in the heart of West Texas. PinkWell Challenge is giving away up to $1 million in matching funds, selecting up to 20 breast cancer organizations from all who apply at www.pinkwell.org.


I hope you'll watch this video---I promise, you will get goosbumps.


So ladies....THAT is why I have been away for so long. Planning this event took a lot of time---days, nights, evenings and weekends. But it was all worth it and I am so proud of what we accomplished.

Thank you for reading, I will be back to normal posting soon!

xoxo,

Veronika.