Blog Archive

Monday, February 22, 2010

Motivation Mondays: P90X Has Arrived & Clarisonic Update

Today, I froze my gym membership for 6 months (gasp!)

But but but...it's not because I'm not working out anymore, it's quite the opposite. I actually plan to work out more. Ever since January 1st, the 24 Hour Fitness I go to has been an absolute cluster. When I do attempt to go after work, I end up driving around the parking garage for 20 minutes circling around and around as me, and 20 other people look for parking spaces. Eventually I get frustrated and I leave.


Since I started doing Pilates at the studio I go to and seeing my personal trainer, I have found myself not missing the gym at all. I don't pay a ton for my monthly membership, but I thought it would be more productive to invest my fitness dollars into workouts I enjoy doing and that don't leave me circling a parking garage for 20 minutes only to not get a workout in anyways (because, trust me, driving in circles is not a workout no matter how many times you circle 'round.)


My husband started a new job, so he's also been finding it hard to get a workout in during the week. He ordered P90X and we are going to do it together at home. The DVD's arrived today and we did one of the UML workouts (and by "did" I mean "attempted to do 40% of it.)


We watched the P90X introduction DVD and I did some of my Pilates moves while I watched it, trying to be as productive as possible. Then we popped in the UML workout and like I said, tried to do about 40% of it. P90X has a lot of reps. Like 30. It was difficult.


To make the first workout even more difficult, the host (Tony Horton) is completely annoying. He has these stream of consciousness-type thoughts and expressions he spews out during the workouts. I don't know what the other videos are like, but the poor guy is kind of annoying, and I just want him to stop making random comments. He also likes to take jabs at people like "...and if you get fat, then you'll feel depressed, and then you'll eat bad foods and then you'll get fatter and die sooner." Thanks Tony.

Here's the other thing about P90X- it's definitely NOT for beginners. You definitely have to already be in somewhat decent shape (IMO) to start these videos. They are very challenging and fast-paced. It is an intense workout (I work out pretty regularly and I couldn't do the entire workout.) I guess you could try to do them as a beginner, but you'd probably feel like you were hit by a bus for several days after doing just the first workout.

Having said that, I think these workouts are great to have for that same reason- they are intense and you can do them at home. It's like learning all these great moves from a trainer but on your TV.
I will give updates on how I'm doing with the P90X.

Keep in mind that I probably won't follow the workouts daily. I still want to do Pilates at least twice a week, so I might sub that in on the days I don't do P90X workouts.


I also wanted to provide a Clarisonic update for anyone who has been interested in my progress. I really enjoy the Clarisonic. Now that I've been using it for nearly a month, I am finding my skin if softer, smoother, makeup stays on better/longer, and pores look smaller. I also just find my face feels cleaner, like it's more deeply cleansed. The only thing it has not cured (but has improved) is occasional redness/blotchiness. I still get that sometimes in certain areas. I am happy I got this brush and love using it at night before bed. Is it a must-have? I'm not sure because it's so pricey. I think after having used it, I can't imagine cleansing without it...but if you don't use it, then I guess you don't really know what you're missing, right?


It is part of my routine now and I can't imagine cleansing without it (kind of like when you start to use an electric toothbrush- you can't ever go back to a manual, it's an inferior teeth-cleaning experience.)


Have you tried P90X? Do you find Tony Horton as annoying as I do? Let me know in the comments below (by the way, I don't mean he is annoying in a disrespectful way, I think he is talented and puts together great workouts. I could just go without his random comments...oh and one of the girls in the video is named "Veronica" so he's always saying my name too...ugh!)


xoxo,

Veronika.


P.S. - On Sunday at church, the sermon was so incredible that I had to share it with you all. Sometimes I really feel like God is listening to me and he knows exactly what I need to hear. Basically the sermon was about avoiding letting negative people into your life, and remaining positive no matter how negative someone is, day in, and day out. It also talked about blossoming (like a flower) even if you are amongst weeds. So keep positive, happy and be kind even if someone is not this way towards you. The pastor also said "some people just don't want to be happy" and I finally realized that was true.