Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Review: Anastasia of Beverly Hills Eye Brightening Pencil in "Sand"

Every December, I tune into the Victoria's Secret Fashion Show for an hour of awe at the bouncy, shiny hair, crazy long legs and toned bodies that strut down the runway in gorgeous embellished lingerie and fluffy angel wings. What I always take away with me is how striking and pretty the makeup is from these shows. Particularly, I want to discuss the way the model's eyes seem to glow as if a halo is surrounding them (like Heidi's in the photo below).


In my desperation to mimic this look (but make it "daytime appropriate") I searched far and wide for a product that could give my eyes a glow that says "I had 8 hours of sleep and a yummy vanilla latte this morning." I tried Benefit's "Eye Bright" pencil and I found it to be too matte and chalky looking.

Then, while returning the brightening pencil at Sephora, I discovered Anastasia of Beverly Hills' eye brightening pencil in "Sand." This pencil is a gorgeous soft, sandy pink that glides on effortlessly. The main difference between Anastasia's pencil and Benefit's is that Anastasia's is shimmery, and thus reflects light, opening up the eyes and giving the entire eye area a glow (can you tell I am obsessed with glowy-ness, if that is even a word!?).

To achieve glowy eyes, I use the pencil on the inner corner (or "inner v") of each eye. Sometimes I use my finger to blend it out a bit underneath that immediate inner eye area. Then, I apply liner and mascara. For special occasions, I will dust an iridescent, shimmery powder on top of the pencil for extra staying power and a more intense glow.

I absolutely love this product, and use it every morning. It is gorgeous for the day (just on the inner v) and for the evening, you can use it to line just underneath your waterline for that coveted Victoria's Secret model look.

If you have any "glowing eyes" tricks, please leave your product suggestions in the comments section!

xoxo,
-Veronika