Wednesday, January 26, 2011

I'm Having a Colonoscopy

The title says it all, folks.  I finally went to see a gastroentronologist after dealing with IBS (and its many, many symptoms) since I've been a teenager.  I've seen many doctors and done many tests over the years but I'm still having issues and I'd just like to get my digestive system back to normal (if that's possible for me).


In the past, I was never willing to change my diet to help my symptoms, but now, I'm just so tired of dealing with this that I'm willing to do anything to improve my quality of life. 
If you have IBS or know someone who does, you know what I'm talking about
. The discomfort, pain and unexpected symptoms that seem to come out of nowhere. Not knowing when the symptoms will come is the worst part.  They can happen at inopportune times and it's embarrassing and so uncomfortable. I'm ready to say goodbye to IBS.

My doctor recommend a colonoscopy to rule out anything more serious like Crohn's disease or Celiac disease (which is unlikely). If it's not something more serious, I'll probably go on some antibiotics that destroy all of your "bad" intestinal bacteria and replace it with "good" bacteria.

I think most people would be kind of scared of this procedure, but I'm actually really happy about it.  I feel like this is an opportunity for a "fresh start" with my digestive system and it will also make me worry less about my stomach issues to have peace of mind about them.

Have any of my lovely readers had this procedure done before? If you have, let me know in the comments below!  I've been told that the night before the procedure where you have to drink all of that "cleanse" stuff is the worst part.

Before I go, a really simple outfit (from Monday):

Sweater- American Eagle
Shirt- Forever21
Skirt- Banana Republic Heritage Collection
Tights- HUE
Shoes- Jessica Simpson
Necklace- Forever21

xoxo,

Veronika.