Blog Archive

Monday, September 20, 2010

Motivation Mondays: With A Twist- Meet Jen from Blonde, Bronzed Twentysomething!

The much beloved Motivation Mondays are back! I am going to try to commit to really working on trying to get one of these up each week.

Today, I bring you a fellow blogger from Toronto, my hometown. We met years ago and stayed in touch via Facebook. Jen is a lifestyles and relationships blogger and I truly enjoy her witty and insightful posts which usually make me both laugh out loud and nod my head in agreement when I read them.

I encourage you to check out (and follow) her blog Blonde Bronzed Twentysomething. I'm sure you'll find a lot of her posts to be very relateable and funny.

Here's the lovely Jen:




1. Why did you start blogging?

You know when you're watching an episode of The Hills, and you have the realization that the scene you're watching completely replicates one from your life? That was me. Whether I was sharing tales about my relationships and dating experience with friends, or writing emails while bored at the office, I always got the same response from people; that I need my own reality TV show, or my own blog. The latter seemed like the better option.

I've always had a knack for writing, have over 40 notebooks filled with original material, and thought blogging would be a great outlet to express myself, share my work and get feedback in return.


2. You write a lot about lifestyle, relationships and friendships- what makes you so passionate and interested in these topics?

I'm the youngest child, which means I was always brought into my older siblings dramas. By the time I was a tween, I saw it all - not to mention grew up watching 90210. I've had flings, I've dated every cliche, I've had three great loves, and I've learned - not only from my siblings mistakes - but my trials and errors as well.

My friends and readers call me the dating connoisseur and I couldn't agree more. We learn through experience, and through the stories of others. I'm passionate about letting other blonde, bronzed, twentysomethings the best way to handle their lives and loves. There's nothing more fulfilling to me than getting feedback from my readers on how I helped them through a tough situation.


3. You like to change your hair up a lot (cut, color, style) what inspires you to change it and what has been your favorite look so far?

I'm the kind of girl that needs to be kept on her toes. I get bored easily and thrive on constant change. If I'm going through a breakup - time for a new hair hue; if I'm going for a night out with the girls, I love putting quirky, attention-grabbing pieces in my hair such as big flowers, feathered headbands and even gold-braided head pieces. I use hair styles and accessories to express my personality.

My favorite look is when I get my hair "dreaded" at the hair salon. It takes about an hour, but it's a unique look and always turns heads (albeit for better or worse).








4. Share some of your beauty secrets with us- what are your "can't live without 'em" products?

Moroccan Oil Restorative Hair Mask - I change my hair color more than people change their sheets. In order to keep my locks healthy, I use this hair mask thrice weekly. There's nothing sexier than a woman who has healthy, shiny hair.

OPI nail polish - I haven't seen my natural nails since 1999. I get weekly manicures and always use OPI nail polish. I change up the color to go with my mood that week, though my go-to's are: Give Me Moor! and Tasmanian Devil Made Me Do It.


5. You have great style- where do you like to shop? (stores, brands etc)

I've always been a label-whore: think Rebecca Taylor, Elizabeth and James and Marc Jacobs. I like to buy basic pieces and then add something to completely make the look as un-basic as possible. I accessorize with head pieces, scarves, jewelery, oversized sunglasses and - at times - hats. Though I often shop at Holt Renfrew (in Canada) and Bloomingdales, I also like to hit up American Apparel for comfortable, more out-of-my-powersuit and into my sweat-suit kind of look.







6. Which celebrity's style do you admire?

MK is my favourite. She dresses in a daring, wierdo kind of way and I find that very appealing. When I read articles in fashion mags about her dressing homeless-chic, I almost think that's a compliment.

Also Kate Hudson. She gives off a free-spirit, hippy-chic vibe through her clothes.


7. Who had your fave "Emmy's" red carpet look this year?

January Jones' cutesy blue dress caught me right away. When stars pick their dresses for red carpet events, they often want to play it safe. Her dress pushed the envelope and I admire her choice to pick a dress with such personality. It shows complete and utter confidence.

I'm not usually one for the little black dress, but I also love Heidi Klum's choice. Likely because it was more than little, it was itty-bitty and had a captivating texture. A dress that sticks out from the crowd is automatically the one I like most.


9. You recently wrote a hilarious entry about hair extensions- I remember those days! I always wore them several years ago. How do you come up with your story ideas? I'm always impressed that you have something new and fresh to write about and somehow it seems everyone can relate to it!

That's the thing with our lives; we think that everything we go through is exclusive to us, but if you look around or go on coffee-talk-catch-ups with your besties, it becomes evident that we are all going through similar events.

My material stems from real life situations (lucky me). Whenever I'm going through something or have a certain issue on my mind, I unleash by writing it out in my blog. I write in a very general way, so people can be open to relating it to themselves. Sometimes, this backfires though. Because my pieces are so relatable, people often make the mistake of thinking I'm writing about them. I think my next post should be called "Your So Vain, I Bet You Think This Blog Is About You."


10. Complete this sentence "I wouldn't leave my house without my " ___________"

I wouldn't leave my house without my MacBook Pro and my yoga mat.

Thank you Jen for motivating us this Monday! I know I could learn a thing or two from this interview...like trying new hairstyles...I promise I will, eventually!




 
Do you have any questions for Jen? You can ask in the comments here, ask her on her blog, or add her on twitter @blondebronzed.

Thanks for reading!

xoxo,

Veronika.