Blog Archive

Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Do Men Really Hate Makeup?

I recently saw an article on Jezebel.com titled "Men Hate Makeup" And Other Annoying Myths.

The article cited
this story in the UK Daily Mail. I find this topic so interesting, because personally, I couldn't imagine always being bare-faced. Not only does makeup enhance my apperance and features, it also makes me feel good.

But when it really comes down to it, I will admit that if I had flawless skin with absolutely no visible pores, blemishes, redness, patchiness, etc...then I wouldn't need to wear (face) makeup at least.
I guess many women agree with me, because the Daily Mail article cited skin problems as the main reason women wear makeup saying "many women also admitted they weren't happy with their skin condition." Here's an excerpt:


So it would appear that women are wearing makeup to hide bad skin, not simply to impress the opposite sex. If women felt more confident that their skin was in good condition they wouldn't need to wear so much make-up to cover up.

I can totally understand and relate to this. If women had near-flawless skin, foundation wouldn't be necessary at all. Unfortunately, for many of us, even those who take very good care of their skin, "near perfect" skin will never be possible- but if you've achieved it without genetic blessings, please enlighten us all in the comments below how you did it!

Kate Bosworth with a very natural makeup look

Model Brooklyn Decker with natural-looking makeup

VS Model Marisa Miller with a little bit of a heavier/evening look

Actress Leighton Meester with smokey eyes and an otherwise nude face

Katie Price (AKA "Jordan") with her trademark dark tan and heavy makeup

Now- to get to the part about men. I totally agree with the author on Jezebel when she says
(excerpt:)

I'll just say it once: men don't "hate" makeup. Men don't know what makeup looks like. Maybe they don't like Tammy Faye Baker maquillage, but guess what: neither do we. It's like my saying, "I hate hair products on men" because of DJ Pauly D's dubious coiffure. The notion of cosmetics becomes problematic when people feel unworthy without them, when a woman feels a need to hide or disguise or change. But by the same token, it's a very unfair standard to demand that women be "naturally" beautiful - as beautiful as a youthful princess gifted in the cradle - without their aid.


I think men don't understand makeup unless it's very very wrong. Makeup faux-pas that made the top 10 most hated by men list include:

1. Lipstick on teeth
2. Too much blusher
3. Thick foundation
4. Panda eyes
5. Clumpy mascara
6. Bright lipstick
7. Foundation tide mark around the jaw-line
8. Bright blue eyeshadow
9. Penciled-in eyebrows
10. Amy Winehouse-style eyeliner flicks