Friday, October 16, 2009

Looks from "The Hills"

I was inspired to write today's post after stumbling upon Amy Nadine's beauty blog (she is a makeup artist for Lauren Conrad and other celebrities).

I was a Hills addict before it even existed- that's right, I've been watching since season one of Laguna Beach. I like the drama, the shopping, the California sunshine...what can I say?

What I notice about The Hills, is that all of the characters (and I call them that because though they are real people, the show certainly is not) have very different makeup styles. The one thing they all seem to have in common though, is the desire to show off their golden tans with a little glow to their skin (I approve!)

I'll start with Lauren Conrad, since she is a fan favorite. I like her look- tan skin, a glow to her cheeks, eyeliner, mascara and a pink or nude gloss to top off her look. It reminds me of my own day to day look. Although she is not a favorite of mine on the show, I think Lauren's look is very achievable and looks like "real girl" makeup. What I mean is that her makeup looks like something I or any other woman could wear on the daily without looking too high maintenance. The thing I like about Lauren's look is that she never looks too perfect. She looks consistently pretty- but it never looks calculated or like her makeup is professionally done all the time (like Heidi- who's look is pretty...but not very achievable for the average girl.) Fashion-wise, I think LC has great style, but as a designer, she needs to grow.

Moving on to Miss Audrina. Many critics have said she wears too much makeup, but I've noticed that her day to day look (when she is running errands and being photographed by the paparazzi) is much more toned down and pretty. She's always got pretty lined eyes and big, lush lashes, which I love. If you love her look, check out her official blog- she lists a lot of her favorite products there and answers her fan's questions about everything from her favorite bronzer to what she eats to stay in shape. I kind of miss her super dark hair- though I do love her color now too, she pulls both off well.


Then there's Heidi. Heidi's makeup, to me at least, appears as though she gets it done professionally every time they are filming The Hills. If she does in fact do her own makeup, then I commend her for her talented makeup application abilities. Like any other show, it would not surprise me if they had makeup artists available to these cast members. Heidi's look is what I consider to be a "full face." She is never without a product- she is always made-up from her foundation to her eyes, lips, cheeks etc. I think she embraces her look, and doesn't care what anyone thinks, which is admirable. I don't think she wears too much makeup, considering she appears on television. I've seen her with less makeup in paparazzi photos, which is a flattering look for her. If you go back to the first season of The Hills (pre plastic surgery- note: I am not against plastic surgery, just stating a fact) you'll notice she also wore a lot less makeup at that time, and she was so cute then too. I just thought she was very fresh-faced and pretty. I think she is pretty now, but her look is more photoshoot than everyday for me. Let's take a look:
This season of The Hills was promoted as "The Bitch is Back." The not-so-nice name they use is referring to is Laguna grad Kristin Cavallari. I really like her look. She pulls off the "almost no makeup" look just as well as a more glam look. I also like her style. She's really evolved from her Laguna boarshort and sweatshirt days. I really like her hair this season, and she seems confident with herself. As far as her makeup goes, she strikes me as a more natural california girl who knows how to look put together without going overboard. I am loving her longer (and lighter) hair this season, but I also love it short- she can really pull it off.


If you would like to learn about some of the products Lauren Conrad's makeup artist uses on her, check out her blog . She claims to use a lot of "Mark" products on Lauren, though I am not sure if this is truly the case, or because LC is a spokesmodel for the company. She also uses a lot of cult faves like NARS Laguna bronzer (Holy Grail alert!) and NARS Orgasm blush- you'll notice her posts about other celebrities she does makeup for include a wide-range of products.

Thanks for reading and please leave me a comment below telling me which "The Hills" girl you like best- whether it is her style, hair or makeup.

xoxo,
Veronika