Thursday, October 1, 2009

Mousse: If you're not using it, you should be

If you haven't used mousse in your hair since 1995, it's time to reconsider. I too stopped using mousse for several years and then found myself wondering why.

Mousse just might be the perfect hair styling product. It leaves no detectable residue, gives volume that lasts for days (if you do a good blowout, of course, nothing in life is free!) and overall doesn't give the hair the stiffness other products can.


Immediately after towel drying, I use a paddle brush to smooth tangles and brush out my entire head. Then, I apply about 2 golf ball sizes of mousse to my brush (you read that right, I apply it directly into the bristles of the brush) and starting from the center, then to each side, I work the mousse from my roots to the mid-shaft of my hair.
Then, I apply Morrocanoil to my ends and blow out my hair with a round brush.

I set Velcro rollers into the front and crown sections of my hair, let them sit while I do my makeup (15 minutes or less), and then I used a flat iron (CHI ceramic 1 inch) to smooth the underneath parts of my hair (the parts not in rollers).

Once the rollers are removed, they give hair a great shape and perfect amount of volume. I don't use hairspray because I don't like the way it makes my hair feel the next day. I will only use hairspray if I have a special event.


The above technique makes my blowout last 3 days, and I will typically use dry shampoo on the 3rd day. The exception to this is if I've had a really intense workout, then I will wash sooner. Note that I do "touch up" my hair in the mornings after having slept on it.

IMO, mousse is the key ingredient to make a blowout last. I can't even remember the last time I didn't use mousse. I find it makes volume last really long, even when hair is slept on. I love Tresemme 24-hour Body Mousse, and Garnier Fructis XXL Volume Thickening Mousse. I have never tried "high-end" mousses, because I am not sure if they would be worth the money. I may invest in the Kerastase volumizing mousse because I tend to love all of the products from their various lines (I use the Nutri-Serum from the Oleo Relax line to smooth flyaways and split ends, and their "ciment thermique" as a heat protectant- though I've stopped using this since my love affair with Morrocanoil began).


The gorgeous Ashley Olsen-rocking a volumized hairstyle.

Hilary Swank's uber-voluminous do

Carrie Underwood's might be one of the prettiest blowouts I've seen

I hope these tips will give your locks a lift!


xoxo,

Veronika.