Blog Archive

Saturday, March 20, 2010

Weekend Shopping: If You're Looking For Something, That's When You Won't Find It

I was so looking forward to my shopping trip today. I woke up, took an Excedrin and started my day with all of the hope in the world to find the perfect skirts for spring. And then it happened. It always happens when I set out to buy something specific. I don't ever end up finding what I'm looking for. It's like Murphy's Law. Every time I set out to get something I imagine in my head, I spend my shopping trip searching for something that doesn't exist.

Since I shop often, I typically don't set out to find specific things. I just look for great deals and buy when things are an awesome price because though I might not need it that very moment, I might need it the week after. I just like to save money and get great items.

It's like when you have an event coming up and you need a great dress. You spend hours looking and looking for something perfect only to end up not finding anything you love. That's why when i LOVE something, I get it. I didn't have an even to wear my Jean Paul Gautier for Target little black dress- but I know I will wear it to an event soon because it is just perfection.

I think when we go shopping with a goal in mind, it can often lead to disappointment. I tend to find some of my favorite pieces when I'm not looking for them at all.

Having said all of this, my shopping trip was still a success. I did not purchase any skirts, but I did get some MAC makeup, VS PINK stuff and some tops from Charlotte Russe.

Let's begin.

After giving up at J. Crew and Ann Taylor, I went to the place I knew wouldn't let me down: MAC Cosmetics.

I'm not a big "collection" type of person. You know how a lot of the beauty gurus on YouTube buy a lot of items from each collection? I am very much the opposite of that. I stick with the same makeup look daily, so I like to keep within a certain color palette (I find the collections are usually more bright or bold eye and lip colors. I do like their lip gloss collections though, because they all tend to have at least one awesome pink color.)

I bought my first paint pot today. It's one I've wanted for quite awhile now. It's called "Bare Study."

It's a gorgeous shimmery gold-ish color. Perfect to wear as a base or on its own. I will probably use it on my inner corner, lid and as a highlight.


The second item I got was from a collection. It's a creme blush called "So Sweet, So Easy" from the Lilly Pulitzer collection. It's a bright pink blush (surprise surprise.)


I also picked up my beloved concealer- MAC's studio finish in NC 20. Honestly ladies, I cannot express just how amazing this concealer is. I use it everywhere I need to get rid of redness, cover a blemish and on my eyelids. It is pure perfection. If you don't have a concealer you love, you need this concealer. It covers flawlessly. I use Sigma's foundation brush and Sigma's concealer brush to apply it.

I just love it. It also has SPF 35 which is amazing.

After my successful trip to MAC, I hit Victoria's Secret to take advantage of their VS PINK 7 for $25 undies sale. Usually it's 5 for $25 so I always take advantage when I can get more. I had a coupon for a free PINK NATION tank top too (it's so cute for a free top! I was impressed) and I also had another coupon for a free VS panty. So I left with 8 pairs of panties and a cute PINK tank top for $27.

Gosh I love pink.

The last store I scored in was Charlotte Russe. I purchased two sweaters and a tank top. I love these long sweaters because they are perfect for belting. Though these kinds of sweaters are ALL over the place, I actually never bought this style of sweater until now. What I love about the two I got are that they're super lightweight, so they are perfect for spring/summer.

I got the above sweater in a size small. The one below is a size extra small. I like them to fit snug on the arms and fit close to the body so it doesn't look baggy or sloppy.

My last item was this cute tank for $10:

Because I was feeling desperate today during my shopping trip, I went to Abercrombie & Fitch. I know, I know. There was this really cute strapless top there with a little ruffle on the boob part and I wanted to try it on.

Let me just say that the customer service at A&F is the WORST ever in all of retail. I was the 3rd in line at the fitting rooms and watched as girls shared fitting rooms with like 30 pieces of clothing items between them. No employee was around to do anything, as usual. They are too busy standing around looking pretty to help anyone.

Luckily, I met and bonded with some awesome gay men in line and we chatted, laughed, talked about how old we were to be shopping there and generally had a good ol' time chatting away as we waited for fitting rooms. Well, little did we know as we were laughing the day away, some crazy people formed another line and tried to claim they were there first. Meanwhile, me and the 2 awesome guys had been the only ones there for the last 15 minutes. I gave the crazy dude who basically told me off a strange look as if to say "you know we were here earlier" and continued my wait (I should really learn to be more assertive.)

Anyways, I FINALLY got a fitting room and was pleased with the way the top looked. I happily walked out of the fitting room despite the fact that I was traumatized by the entire experience and walked towards the cash to make my purchase...except for the cash had ONE person on cash and a line of about 10 people. I just walked out. I can't do it anymore.

I am so tired of A&F's elitist crap. They've asked me to work there numerous times from when I was a teen until the present day. WHY THE HECK WOULD ANYONE WANT TO WORK THERE?! Let alone someone my age who has a full time job. One time, the girl who asked me spent a good 10 minutes trying to convince me how great it was an how all I'd have to do is stand in front of them store in their clothes. Lady, I've got better things to do than make 7 bucks an hour looking like an A&F elitist. A&F stock is down, and so is their customer service. I don't think I can go back there again for awhile. I'm too old anyways. I just can't.

OK, I'm sorry. I'm sorry for that rant but I really can't stand when retail stores act like it's a freaking privilege to shop there. You know what's a privilege, dear A&F? Having people spend money at your store for overpriced crap that you try to market as only for "hot people." I am so over it.

Now, before I go, I also wanted to mention that when I was at VS, I did see the new self tanner airbrush spray, but when I read it, it sounded like a spray-on bronzer, and not an actual self tanner so I didn't buy it. I might try to find it online from a retailer that sells discontinued products.

Also, I recently discovered this amazing blog called "Hills Freak." It is so addictive. It covers ALL of "The Hills" stars and what they wear. I absolutely love it. Check it out if you love "The Hills" as much as I do-they have tons of great photos!

Thanks so much for reading, and please share your weekend purchases with me in the comments below!

xoxo,

Veronika.