Monday, December 28, 2009

Trend Report: Lingerie-Inspired Swimwear

Women's Wear Daily wrote about a new trend today (which actually started at least a year ago, but I digress): Swimwear that is very lingerie-esque.

My lovely followers know that I've been quite bathing suit crazy lately because of my vacation (which is just 20 short days away!)
I've always loved swimwear (even as an awkwardly skinny, flat-chested teen.) There is something so awesome about finding the perfect pink girly bikini.

I check out the Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Issue every year, and I noticed this trend a LONG time ago. I personally like this trend. Bathing suits can be boring, and I think adding things like bows, lace and other fun details makes the bathing suit less blah/plain.

Don't get me wrong, I don't want to actually look like I'm wearing lingerie, but I think lingerie-inspired swimwear is pretty.
I recently purchased a few suits at Target from the Rodarte line, and one of them has pretty girly ruffles, and the other has black lace detailing (click link for photos).

I still think they look like swimwear, but some people don't like the lingerie inspired swimwear looks. I don't really see the difference, I guess. It all covers the same amount of skin (in many cases, swimwear covers more!)


Beach Bunny Swimwear is a (super pricey) line that really takes lingerie inspired swimwear to the next level. They've been featured in SI too. Here are some of their looks:

What do you think? Is it too much or do you find these suits to be cute? Here are some more lingerie-inspired looks from SI (past issues):


So ladies, is this swimwear appealing to you, or do you like more basic looks? I love fun prints and bold looks for swimwear, so you can probably tell I'm thrilled that swimwear has gone in this direction. I can't tell you how sick I am of solid color triangle top bikinis with side-tie bottoms- so classic, yet kinda boring (I do own some suits like this, but most are patterned)

xoxo,

Veronika.