Sunday, December 13, 2009

Tsk Tsk: A Messy Closet Clean-Up Story

I am obsessed with my closet. I want it to look like a pretty display case for all of my clothes. I feel my clothes deserve to be stored in a lovely, organized closet.

Sometimes when I'm busy, my closet turns into a disaster. My poor husband usually just leaves it alone, because I have a "system" of how I hang and organize everything, and he doesn't want to mess with the system.

I walked into my closet after getting home from the gym this afternoon, and it was shocking. Don't believe me? Take a look:

WhatAMess. Seriously. The clothes themselves were hung with care, but the floor area was a whole other story. Oh my.

So I started to organize everything to get it back to a tolerable state. Here's what it looks like right now:
Ahh clean floors!
It's nowhere near perfect, but like I said, it's tolerable.

For those wondering, yes the closet is painted Tiffany Blue. We had it color matched using a Tiffany box (shhh, don't tell Tiffany's, it's a copyrighted Pantone color!) The rest of our house is neutral, so I thought I would paint at least one room a fun color. Our closet only had the builder's white (blah) color before, and the walls looked so dirty from years of not being repainted. I definitely love the closet more now that it's painted and clean-looking. I also painted the shelves in the closet white, and spray-painted the clothing rods black.

Here was our closet empty, after the paint job:

And here is the color comparison- a pretty close match, wouldn't you say?

I also have a large dresser from IKEA in there to store bras, socks, sleep wear, gym clothes, etc.
Here is a better shot of my shoe/denim cubby. Believe it or not, it used to be an actual shelf-type thing in our closet that we had on the floor, before we got the dresser, and I took it apart and sort of re-purposed it.

You can kind of see my scarf and hat rack in this photo: (and no, I've never worn the skull-print scarf, even when it was "in." It just didn't work for me)

I just thought I'd share my closet with my wonderful readers because I am sure some of you are as obsessed as I am with maintaining their closets. My closet isn't complete yet- there are still a few things I'd like to add, but overall, I am very happy with it. I'd love to add a chandelier to it!

What is your closet like? Do you have a system of organizing your clothes? Let me know in the comments below.

xoxo,

Veronika.