Thursday, December 16, 2010

(Not) Wearing Makeup to the Gym

I've been going to the gym in the morning about twice a week. I wake up at 5:40 a.m., hobble to the bathroom with my eyes half-shut not quite understanding what's happening, brush my teeth, wash my face, throw on clothes and shoes, toss a water bottle in my gym bag and off I go.

I know for a lot of women, not wearing makeup outside of the house isn't a big deal, but for me it was.  The thought of going anywhere "in public" without makeup on horrified me. Not because I think I'm an ugly beast without it---but because I am so used to leaving the house with my hair and makeup done---polished, as I like to call it. It's a routine, a way of life and makes me feel good about myself.

I realize women everyday go to the gym, to work and to fancy dinners without any makeup on, but that's not me, never has been.  So, you can imagine it was really out of my comfort zone to leave my house without going through my typical tried-and-true routine.  I felt naked. 

I thought I would feel really awkward without my makeup on---but to be honest with you, I somehow just stopped caring. Sure I poked fun at the fact that I never leave my house without it, and of course I still wouldn't make it an everyday thing---but when I'm at the gym, I'm so focused on my workout that it just doesn't matter what I look like then.  I'm sweating and burning and pushing myself really hard---and I'm proud of that...and the last thing I want to think about is what I look like with my hair pulled back, sweating and no makeup on. I'm more focused on the burn I feel in my abs and the "oh my gosh I need water" feeling.

I know this is completely corny, but at first, it was a big deal for me to get comfortable with just leaving my house without at least the teeniest bit of makeup on...but somehow that seemed less ridiculous than applying makeup at 5:40 a.m. to go to the gym.

To my lovely readers--- Do you wear makeup to the gym? If you're a regular makeup wearer, what did it take for you to get comfortable without it in select situations?

I still wear makeup if I have an evening workout (the same makeup I had applied in the morning), but if it's an early a.m. workout, the makeup just isn't happening.


Here is the outfit I wore today. More black, I know. But I'm trying to show more outfits with pants...so without further ado...

Top- Ann Taylor
Faux-Fur Trim Vest- Charlotte Russe
Pants- Express Editor
Shoes- Aldo

Hope everyone has a very happy Friday! (tomorrow)

xoxo,

Veronika.