Blog Archive

Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Sports Illustrated 2011 Swimsuit Issue--- Thoughts on "Curvy" and Body Talk

This weekend, Candice and I went and saw "Just Go With It," and I have to say, we laughed so hard we cried during some scenes.  It was that funny.  Jennifer Aniston, Adam Sandler and movie newcomer, model Brooklyn Decker were awesome together.  Definitely a feel-good and hilarious movie. 

I was thrilled when Sports Illustrated released their 2011 swimsuit issue this week and even happier that Brooklyn Decker, one of my favorite models (ever!) was in this year's issue (she was last year's cover girl, but it seems SI is switching out some of their regular models lately so I was hoping she would still be in it).  Speaking of which, where the heck is Marissa Miller? She's not doing Victoria's Secret or SI anymore?

Here's a few of my favorite Brooklyn shots (all images are from si.com)


Obsessed with this bikini!  I tried to find it online but it's not part of the current collection.

Now, the real reason I wanted to post about the SI issue is because of a debate that went on today on a message board about the SI models and their bodies.

I always loved SI's approach of selecting their models, because, from my perspective, they have more achievable and athletic bodies than runway and high fashion models. What I should clarify here, is that I mean their bodies are relate-able/achievable/realistic for me. I'm tall, I have a long torso, I have wider hips, I work out regularly. For me, these model's bodies are a representation of what I feel I could accomplish with a lot of hard work and healthy eating.

It seems my comment sparked a little bit of debate, especially when I said I liked how curvy the models were---particularly Brooklyn Decker, Esti Ginzburg and Jessica Gomes

Here's the thing. It's all semantics---everyone has a different way of assigning meaning to a word.  For some, curvy means thin girls with boobs and hips, for others it means a plus-sized woman and for others, Beyonce and Jennifer Lopez would fit their definition of "curvy."

The point is, because we have different definitions of the word, people can have strong feelings when the word is used in a way they can't relate to.  For example, I always considered myself curvy because I tend to carry my weight in my lower body.  Some people would think I'm crazy to define myself as curvy, but that's how I feel about my body. I think a lot of the SI models have gorgeous curves. Yes, they are all thin---but they have larger breasts and thighs and stomachs that aren't ripped with visible 6 packs (or so bony that they look emaciated.)  Is that everyone's definition of curvy? No. But it's part of mine---I believe that everyone from some of the SI models to Beyonce to Jennifer Lopez to Kim Kardashian to Crystal Renn are all curvy.

There isn't just one definition to me. "Curvy" encompasses too many body types to make one body the definition of the very word.

I was reading an article featuring Allure Editor Linda Wells in the New York Times recently and she was quoted saying:

“I don’t want to photograph skinny models,” she said, “but they’re always going to be thinner than everyone else. They’re models. We recently shot Bar Refaeli, who’s more of a Victoria’s Secret kind of model, for the April issue, and she’s a woman with a body. She’s got curves. She’s got thighs.” 

I have always loved Bar Refaeli and also think she had a gorgeous, curvaceous body.  Some women would look at her and feel differently and that's okay. Remember, it's all about the meaning you assign to the word.



The debate also spun off into another topic---how women talk about their own bodies. I had someone contact me on my formspring page telling me that it offends her when I say that I am insecure about the size of my hips, because she is larger than me. You can read my response here.

I was taken aback by the comment because ALL women have body insecurities. As women, we need to support each other through those insecurities and not deny ourselves the right to express them.  Whether a woman is a size two or 22, she has the right to feel insecure about any part of her body. It would be unnatural NOT to have any insecurities. My major insecurity is my hips.  I don't hate my body or my hips, but I do wish they were a bit smaller.  It's just a little insecurity that doesn't affect my day to day life.

What's your take on the word curvy?  What do you think about women expressing their body insecurities?  When someone who is thinner or in better shape then you tells you about one of their insecurities, does it make you feel worse about yourself, or does it motivate you to work hard to reach your goals?  I'm obviously in the latter category.  When I see someone who I feel has a body that I would desire for myself, and it's someone who has similar proportions to me, I like to use that as inspiration to motivate me to keep working hard at the gym.

Please share your thoughts with me below!  I love reading your comments and appreciate everyone who takes the time to participate :)


xoxo,

Veronika.