Blog Archive

Monday, March 21, 2011

Decorating Your Home: Textures Make Things Pretty

If there was rehab for pillow addiction, my husband would check me in tomorrow. Or more like yesterday.  Since we're putting our home on the market soon, I've been obsessively tweaking things to make everything as great as it can be.  This included getting some new pillows for the couch.  See, the thing is, I don't allow us to use the pretty satin pillows that we have on the couch---they are for display only.  For the longest time, the pillows we actually used were mismatched ones from our old couches.  I finally decided to get a few more that match the current set so it didn't look weird in photos with half of the pillows being pretty purples and the other half being black and white and black and brown zebra print. 

I got 3 new pillows---two from my beloved West Elm and one from Crate and Barrel.  I think when it comes to decorative pillows, mixing textures and prints in complimentary colors is the way to go. It gives your decor a little depth and interest versus getting just the same pillows in the same color and texture.  Ready to see the new additions? Me too!
You might remember our other pillows from previous posts: (all from West Elm):


Now, we won't necessarily leave them laid out like that for the Realtor's photos, but they are like that for now. I sit in that little corner with the new pillows. In fact, I'm sitting there right now with my legs up! We still LOVE our West Elm Tillary Sofa. It has been the best furniture investment ever. So comfy!

Oh, and someone else loves the new pillows too!

Lulu loves anything soft and fluffy, so he's pretty happy with these new additions. 

More house updates:  we had new carpet put in in the downstairs bedroom.  We have no idea what the heck happened, but the previous owners had stains all over it.  We paid twice to have it cleaned but they just wouldn't come out.  They were pretty bad and made the room look dingy.  We pretty much got the same carpet we had before, it's just shiny and new now!  Definitely worth it since it's the first room people see when they walk in---we don't want to turn people off right away!

Here's how it looks now:


Now, the pillows we have here are just leftovers from previous pillows we've used on our old couches, so it's not my ideal design, but sometimes, you've gotta work with what you've got!
It's incredible what a difference new carpet makes!

Are you as obsessed with pillows as I am? I can't help it---they are pretty, soft and fluffy! What's not to love? Plus, they can change the look of a room so easily!  New pillows can equal a completely new and refreshed look.

Hope everyone had a great Monday! I only worked out 3 days last week so I need to get my butt back on track this week! My goal is to do 5 days this week.

xoxo,

Veronika.

PS- I'm off to cook dinner for the H!  Yummy pasta primavera with pesto and shrimp! I'm working on my cooking skills!