Blog Archive

Tuesday, July 6, 2010

How-To: Glowing, Highlighted Skin & My Face Makeup Routine (Requested)

I got a question on my formspring page today so I decided to make an entire post about it because it's a frequently asked question.

Here is my skin makeup routine, step by step:

(I am REALLY sorry about the formatting and I've tired everything to fix it and can't :( )

1.  Moisturize freshly washed skin with Neutrogena Moisturizer for Sensitive Skin all over skin. I brush my teeth as I wait for it to sink in.

Neutrogena Oil Free Moisture for Sensitive Skin, 4-Ounce Pump Bottles (Pack of 2)

 

2.  Next, I use my Sigma Foundation Brush to apply MAC Studio Finish Concealer SPF 35 to any red areas of my skin (the sides of my nose, between brows, around corners of mouth- anywhere I have unevenness or pigmentation...or a blemish.) Note that I also apply the concealer to my eyelids as a primer. I like my eyelids to have an even look and this helps to achieve that.

3.  Next I apply MAC Studio Fix Powder Plus Foundation (my color is C3) with Sigma's powder brush to my entire face and bringing it down onto my neck and into my hairline so there are no obvious lines (this isn't as common with powder formulas, but still).  I always use a big powder brush to apply Studio Fix because I believe it gives a more airbrushed and flawless finish.


4.  After my powder, I apply my concealer and eye highlighter to my eye area. Please note that you can do this before applying the powder, but sometimes it's nice to do it after because the "glow" will show more.  I've been using Neutrogena Healthy Skin Brightening Eye Perfector Concealer Pen, which I really like.  I apply it directly from the tube and then use a Sigma eyeshadow blending brush to blend it. I know that sounds odd but I recently saw a YouTube Guru do it and it's a nice way to get a soft, blended sort of diffused look.

Yesterday though, I purchased a new Maybelline Instant Age Rewind Double Face Perfector and also the Maybelline Dream Matte Mousse Concealer.

I can't do a full review because today is the first day I used it, but I will say it is very creamy when it goes on so I have to be careful to use just a tiny amount to get the desired look.  Here is the highlight/concealer pen swatched:

I got it in the color "light". Above is with flash and below is without.

I truly think all women should be using highlighting products for their skin. It makes a big difference- it can awaken tired eyes, perk-up a tired complexion and add brightness and warmth to your skin and features. 

The other concealer I got is the Dream Matte Mousse. Here it is swatched:

and blended...

Here is the Age Rewing concealer and highlighter on my eyes after an entire day at work (so this is what it looked like at 6:30PM- I applied it at about 7:30AM)

So basically I apply a dot of each side of the concealer/highlighter and use the brush to delicately buff the product into place. Please note I have Benefit's "Eye Bright"pencil on the inner corners of my eyes as well.

Benefit Cosmetics Eye Bright Pencil 

5.  At this point I would do my eyes, but I have another post about that here.

6. After my eyes, I apply my bronzer. My HOLY GRAIL bronzer is NARS "Laguna."

I use once again my Sigma large powder brush to apply it.  I am not a contour kind of girl. Some women only use bronzer as a facial contouring makeup, but I just use it to add warmth to my skin.  So I apply it to my hairline/upper forehead, my nose, my cheeks and a tiny bit on my chin with whatever is left on the brush. You must also apply this to your neck sparingly so it's all even.

NARS Bronzing Powder Laguna 

7.  After the bronzer, I use NARS' The Multiple in "Luxor" on my cheek bones. I literally just use the product right from the tube and apply it in a line on each cheekbone. Then I use my finger to blend out. I recently added this to my daily routine and love it. I was previously not highlighting my cheek bones, but then I rediscovered my love for the NARS Luxor and decided to add it in.

 8.  After highlight, I use Bobbi Brown blush in "peony" on the apples of my cheeks.  It is my holy grail blush. I own other blushes, but this is the one that makes me feel the most pretty, so I use it the most often.

Bobbi Brown Blush Pale Pink 

That's it :)


If you have any questions about my skin makeup, please leave me a comment OR ask me on formspring.

Thanks so much for reading and have a lovely evening!


xoxo,

Veronika.