Blog Archive

Monday, July 26, 2010

An Outfit of the Day & De-Cluttering My Life. De-Clutter with Me, Dear Readers

Lately I've been feeling the need to de-clutter my life. My goal this week is to start with our bathroom.  I'm going to get rid of (and possibly donate to a woman's shelter) unopened products, things I'll never use etc.  I just have so much STUFF...hair products, lotions (I don't even USE lotion) etc. I just need it gone!

Since I've been in house-mode lately, I've been thinking about all of the little things we need to do in the next 6 months or so before it goes on the market. Little repairs and improvements. I told my H that maybe I'll spend my weekends home-improving instead of shopping...we'll see how that goes :)

Here's what I wore to work today:


Cardigan- Charlotte Russe
Top- Costa Blanca
Skirt- Target
Shoes- Michael Kors
Bag- Kate Spade
Belt- J.Crew
Necklace- Forever 21

I'm still going to work on setting up my camera tripod, I promise! I also really really want to make a video for you ladies of my closet and makeup/storage.  I just have to de-clutter and organize everything to how it's supposed to be, and then I'll record those (and uh, learn how to edit videos too...this could take awhile!)

Do you ever feel the urge to just de-clutter your life? Do you ever wonder where all of that STUFF came from?  I'm no hoarder (I'm actually more of an eliminator) but I tend to eliminate things less often, but in huge amounts. I actually read an article today from the LA TIMES titled "Are you addicted to cosmetics?"  I don't fall into the category they described, but I think we can ALL learn a lesson from the article.

I know there are a lot of makeup gurus out there on YouTube and in the blogging world who seem to buy several items from every MAC collection and are always trying out new foundations, bronzers, hair products, etc...  

I always wonder how they use so much makeup, but the truth is, they can't.  The difference between those gurus (and myself) is that they review and do makeup tutorials for a living, so having access to all of those products is beneficial and enhances their blog or channel.  But for a girl like me who basically wears the same makeup everyday, it's just kind of wasteful.

For example, I have an entire drawer in my makeup storage case just full of pink lip glosses. I don't even really wear lip gloss.  I sometimes use a lip conditioner or dab on some very subtle pink lipstick...yet for some reason, I'm always "sucked in" by pink glosses.  Why do I buy them? They just sit there for weeks, months...dare I say it, years? (I've had to throw many away throughout the years.)

I've made a conscious effort lately to avoid buying products that are either too "in my comfort zone"- in the sense that I already have something almost exactly like it and too "out of my comfort zone" - something I'll use once but never return to.  At the end of the day, it just adds clutter.  Now this doesn't mean I won't try new things, I just don't plan on trying things if it's something I basically already have. Like PINK LIP GLOSS!!!

My blog sale was a very cleansing experience for me.  It just made me feel good that the clothes were going to good homes while I also benefited by getting more room in my closet and less clutter!

So, tell me ladies, do you ever feel overwhelmed at all of the STUFF you have? Whether it's cosmetics, hair products or clothes?  Let's all post what we need to purge in the comments and then take steps towards doing it!

Got makeup that's so old it's crusting? Toss it!

Got 3 bottles of unopened shampoo that you swore you'd use forever and never do? Donate to a women's shelter!

Got tons of clothes that don't fit, don't look good, too short, too long etc? Sell it on eBay, swap with friends or donate it!

Got old styling tools that still work but are gathering dust? Donate them or give them to a friend who might need a curling iron!

Let's de-clutter ladies!

xoxo,

Veronika.