Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Five Things...

Ladies, I am so excited about so many things right now that I wanted to share them all in one post!

1. There is a new website here in Houston called Culture Map. It is an online "mapazine" featuring all things Houston- the best places to eat and shop, along with society and events coverage, fashion and beauty, etc. The sleek new site just went up today, and I was lucky enough to contribute to a fashion column/blog on the site. Click here to read my first article. I am just so honored to be a part of such an amazing new venture. If you live in Houston, I encourage you to visit this incredible new site (oh, and you won't want to miss Shelby Hodge's coverage on Culture Map!)

2. I recieved my Sigma brush set last week (I got all 12 brushes) and I do plan to review them in full later on...but I do have to absolutely rave about two of the brushes (OK, maybe three) right this very second! I'll start with the foundation brush. OMG. I never knew a large foundation brush could create such flawless skin- but here's the kicker- I use it to apply my concealer on larger areas of my face. Instead of using the smaller brush that's actually meant for concealer, I use the foundation brush to lightly apply MAC Studio Finish concealer (the kind that comes in the pot) over spots like my forhead, sides of the nose, under eyes and my chin, if my skin is uneven there. Hello Holy Grail brush. I just can't stop singing its praises!

Next, the concealer brush. Soft, perfect for smaller areas of coverage (like a blemish, for example). I love love love this brush. I actually LOVE concealer because of both of these brushes. They smooth the product out so wonderfully, it really creates a flawless finish.

Finally the powder brush, the SS150, is what I use to apply my MAC Studio Fix powder (C3, for anyone who would like to know). I am almost at the bottom of my powder right now, so I want to write more about how the brush applies the product- but I'm going to wait until I've been able to use it with a full powder compact before I comment. What I can say in my preliminary use of it, is that is applies a perfect light coat of powder and it is soft soft soft. It makes my old powder brush feel like a brillo pad in comparison.

3. My Outfit of the Day! We had a potential new client meeting so I wanted to wear something nice but not stuffy. I went to my wonderful, tried and true Club Monaco dress. I'll admit it...it cost more than I'd usually spend on a dress (about 189$...and I have it in white too *gasp!*) however, this dress is so timeless and will be worn for years (and years and years). The sweater in the outfit is the same as my last OOTD- from New York & Co.

Here it is with the sweater:
and without:

Tights: Hue (2/$20 at Macy's); Shoes: Jessica Simpson (about $59 at DSW); Belt: Club Monaco (about $89).

4. I had one of my lovely readers recently ask me to post about bronzers. I can't even imagine my life (or my skin) without bronzer. Thank goodness someone invented it and created a whole new way for us paler girls to achieve glowing, bronzed skin, year-round! (without the icky repreccussions of tanning beds, ew!) So, here is my advice about bronzers. The only two bronzers I have ever considered to be Holy Grail worth are NARS Laguna Bronzer and Benefit's Hoola Bronzer. Though I no longer use the Hoola, our love affair was postively glowing while it lasted. I use my Sigma SS150 large, fluffy powder brush to apply my NARS bronzer. I start on my nose, then sweep the color near my forhead/hairline area, then on my cheeks, and finally on my chin and jawbone (I know that seems like a lot, but it is such a light wash of color and when you apply it strategically over points where the sun would naturally hit your face, I promise it looks natural and pretty).

5. I couldn't end this post without discussing VB's new hair-DO! Love, love love it! It is so soft and pretty...maybe Kate Gosselin took a nod from Posh's new do, because in her interview last night on TLC, famous mommy Kate had a much softer look to her popular coiff, and I quite liked it.

Here are some photos of the beautiful VB showing off her new hair. I won't even get into her outfit, because I could go on and on about her style...she takes risks, but she knows how to dress down too. I have her book "That Extra Half an Inch" and I recommend it to anyone who wants a glimpse into her thoughts and advice on fashion and beauty.


Look at that stare...so fierce! and the shoes...oh the shoes (*sigh*)

I realize this entry was completely and totally all over the place, so if you have any questions, please leave them in the comments below. I also want to take a moment to thank everyone for entering the 100 subscribers contest! I can't wait to give the prize away, and I am crossing my fingers for all of you!

Hope you all have a wonderful evening (or day, whenever you read this!)

xoxo,

Veronika.