Monday, November 9, 2009

It's All About the Eyes

Have you ever been asked what one makeup item you would take with you if you were stranded on a deserted island...and then you are forced to weigh the pros and cons of each product?

For me, the answer is easy: eyeliner. Without hesitation, I would pick MAC's gel liner (and I would hope I could throw in the angled brush, for application purposes, of course).

In high school, I went through a phase where I used Bonne Bell's copper-toned eyeliner as a lip liner (yes, really). I had quite pale skin and these dark lips (I was not trying to look goth at all, it just so happened I was pale with a darker lip shade-not black, but darker than anything I would wear now). I still cringe when I think about my first experiences with makeup...it's not that I looked horrendous or anything, it is just so
different from how I wear my makeup now.

They say that eyes are the "windows to your soul," so maybe eyeliner, eyeshadow and mascara are the eye's window treatments.

Actress Diane Kruger's eye makeup looks are always stunning. Everytime she is photographed, it's the first thing I notice about her. She also has youthful, thick brows that are just slightly shaped and arched. I love thicker brows on women. I really think it creates a youthful appearance to the face. Over-plucked brows are never in style.

Among my favorite of Diane's sultry eye looks is this one:

I love how far down the eyeshadow is on her bottom lash line. I definitely plan to try this bolder look the next time I have an event to go to. It is very sexy and smokey. I love how she kept the rest of her look neutral- glowy skin, with a soft pink blush and neutral pink lips.

Here are some more inspiration shots of her eye makeup:

I love that even when she wears a lot of eye makeup, she manages to keep the look bold, yet soft. She carries a smokey eye so well, that you forget how much effort is put in to achieve the look.


Who is your eye makeup inspiration? Which one make up product would you choose to have if you were stranded on an island?

Also...today is our 6th month wedding anniversary. I can't believe how quickly time flies!

Awhile ago, one of my readers mentioned she recently had a bad breakup and asked if I might give some advice on finding love and relationships. I'm not an expert on marriage or relationships, but the best advice I can give is to always say how you feel, what you want and what you expect. I know people will say it time and time again- that communication is key- but it is not just about communicating, it's about how you communicate and what you say when you do.

Some people hold back how they really feel because they feel embarassed (or for other reasons) but revealing your real truths- what you like and don't like, what you believe in, what's important to you- that's what makes the difference. I think that being able to tell the person you love what you really think and feel is so validating and can bring so many positive things to a relationship.

Thank you so much for reading!

xoxo,

Veronika.