Sunday, November 29, 2009

Our Winter Garden Christmas Tree & Twilight Fever

I went a little crazy this Thanksgiving weekend. After seeing New Moon last weekend, I decided that I would read both Eclipse and Breaking Dawn over the holiday weekend. And I did. Call me crazy, but after finishing the incredible series, am I the only one that feels a little sad? I guess it just feels sad to know that we'll never know what happens next (though I did think the ending was perfect, and it did give me a sense of peace.) The books were addictive and incredible- I definitely recommend them, and I now see why people say "read the book before you see the movie" (I tried to read Twilight after seeing it, and it just didn't feel the same. I skipped New Moon as well, and just read the last two)

What cheered me up was putting up our tree this weekend! I have been obsessed with unique/different looking Christmas trees since I can remember. I even used to hand make these amazing ornaments. The first tree my mom let me design while I still lived at home was pink and gold (before they even sold the now popular pink ornaments everywhere). To save money, I spray painted some of our older, multicolor ornaments gold, and bought what few shades of pink ornaments I could find. I then made my own clear ornaments with shimmering snow and artificial pink roses inside of them. The tree was full of artificial roses and peonies in various shades of pink. It was very girly, but it was jsut us girls, so it was OK!

I guess I've just never been into the red, white and green tree. I always wanted my tree to be a reflection of my tastes, not necessarily displaying the traditional Christmas symbols (Santa, reindeer, etc.)

Our tree this year is what I like to call "Winter Garden." We had the same theme last year, but added even more details and ornaments this year.

Our tree has ivory, silver and glittering gold balls and the rest is a mix of lime green and white birds, dragonflies, butterflies, snowflakes, apples, pears and ivory peonies. Who ever said flowers don't belong on Christmas trees? I think they add the most beautiful soft and feminine touch to the tree.

Because pictures can say a thousand words, I'm going to let them do so:





The ornaments (balls) are mostly from Wal-Mart. The tree picks are mostly from Michael's Arts and Crafts, the butterflies and dragonflies from Pottery Barn, and the birds were purchased online, I believe.

I also set our small dining table to match the rest of our holiday decor:



The napkins are from Crate & Barrel, and the napkin rings are from Pottery Barn.

Lastly, here is a view of the rest of our living room area with the tree:



Have you decorated your home for the holidays yet? Let me know what your tree and decor look like in the comments below!

xoxo,

Veronika.