Monday, October 18, 2010

Motivation Mondays: Stephanie Talks Fashion Week, Hair & More!

Today, lovely readers I bring you a Motivation Mondays post from the wonderful Stephanie from Cutloose hair!  Some of you may remember she colored my hair a couple of weeks ago and this weekend she is trimming it for me (yay for trims!)

Stephanie is incredibly talented and such a lovely spirit that I couldn't resist asking her to be featured here on my blog.  Her dedication to her career and passion for what she does is evident in every cut, color and style she does. Oh, and her favorite color is fuchsia (yep, we may be soul-mates.)

Stephanie recently scored a much-coveted spot doing hair for Bumble & Bumble at New York Fashion Week!  If that's not inspiring, I don't know what is.  Here's what Stephanie has to say about fashion week, hair and more!
Meet Stephanie:


1.  How long have you been doing hair?
Since 1999. The "Meg Ryan" haircut was all the rage. I probably did 500 of them. Thanks Sally Hershberger! :)

2. What made you decide to be a hair dresser? Were you always passionate about it?
I was always into beauty growing up. As a kid I would watch my mom get ready for dates, and I would be mesmerized by her transformation. I love that in fashion, you can be whoever you want to be. That's power.

I didn't always know I would do Hair as a profession. I had done so much to myself- color, cutting, you name it. The day it dawned on me that I could do what I already had a predisposition for (as a career), it changed my life forever. The industry saved me in a lot of ways.

3.  You recently did some shows at New York Fashion Week- what was that like?
It was an honor to work with the Bumble and Bumble Team. I got to work with lead stylists in the industry that I have admired for years. I got a real view of what life is like for that breed of hairdresser. You have to have real skills and tough skin. It also made me appreciate my family at Cutloose Hair Salon. My coworkers and my clients mean everything to me.

Stephanie with Rolando Beauchamp, an editorial stylist for Bumble and Bumble

Th Parkchoonmoo show (a modern Korean designer)
From Alexander Berardi
4.  What behind-the-scenes stories can you share with us from fashion week?
At Catherine Malandrino, the presentation was about to begin and a model came screaming in from another show. Usually, models are doing multiple shows a day. They were literally dressing her, applying her makeup and styling her hair at the same time. -My quintessential Fashion moment!

5.  What hair trends were you seeing on the SS 2011 runway? What do you predict will be hot for the spring/summer season?
Spring Summer is typically more laid back than Fall/Winter hair. The styles I worked on were everything from flat ironed bone-straight to the low side-chignon of season's past. The low side pony with a 60's inspired tease was my favorite, at Alexander Berardi.

6.  What is your favorite thing about your job?

When you live and work as a hairdresser in the same salon, you grow roots. It only gets better, and your relationships get stronger.

7. What is your least favorite part of your job?
I'm rooted. No living in Italy for me!! -(David Tran, I know you're reading)

8.  What are some tips you can share to keep hair healthy?

If you trust your hairdresser, listen to them. The right products will go a long way. Stop using the flat iron everyday, and if you MUST, use a heat protectant. Also, some protein masks out there can actually make your hair more brittle the more you use them. If it does right away, you need moisture. If you are truly damaged, use the protein treatment until things improve. When they do, switch to something lighter.

9.  What are some of your favorite hair trends and styles?
I still love braids. The basket weave at Alexander McQueen was stunning. The classic chignon, french twist and ponytail never go out of style, and can make your "holiday look" very elegant.

10.  Which celebrities' hair do you love?

I love Julianne Moore, especially her hair in "A Single Man." I love that Emma Watson just chopped all of her hair off. It's adorable on her.

11.  What styles over the years have you tried with your own hair? anything crazy you want to share?

I too chopped my hair off to 1 inch all over when I was 21. It was when Gwyneth Paltrow had her short hair ( and was dating Brad Pitt.) I loved that I did it, but I'll never do it again!

12. In your opinion, what are the biggest mistakes women make with their hair (this can be cut, color, style etc.)

Anything "As seen on t.v." is usually not wise. Go see your hairdresser and ask him/ her to SHOW you how to style! And then go home and PRACTICE! Psst: ( that's the only thing we have up on you.)


Thanks so much Stephanie for sharing your tips and experiences :)  If you have any questions for Stephanie please post them in the comments and I'm sure she will come back and answer as many as she can.

xoxo,

Veronika.