Friday, October 22, 2010

Products I Won't Repurchase (& What You Can Use Instead)

Sometimes I see a product that looks exciting and then when I use it it's just OK.  Most of you ladies know that I am pretty consistent when I like something. I will repurchase the same products over and over because I know they deliver the results I'm looking for.

I would never discover new HG products if I didn't try new things, but not every new product can be a hit.  Here are some products I wouldn't repurchase, and why:
This one is tough for me because I actually have repurchased it several times and it works as an antiperspirant.  The issue with this product is that it gave me underarm cysts. I have never gotten cysts on my underarms from any other product and when I switched to another brand, they cysts stopped coming. I actually had to go on antibiotics before because one of them was painful and pretty big.  So this is just a no go product for me.


On a side note, I don't really sweat a lot but I started using clinical strength formulas in the Houston summers because I like to have extra protection just in case on those hot and humid days.

Aveda Smooth Infusion Glossing Straightener

I had high hopes for this product.  While I don't think it's an awful product, I've used ones I like better.  This one has a glue/paste like consistency which makes it harder to spread well in the hair.  Like I said, I don't hate it, but here's a better option. 


Revlon Grow Lucious Mascara

Another "just OK" product. I don't feel it gives lashes the volume and thickness I like in other formulas. If you want length this might be a good choice, but I always feel I have to layer another mascara over it to get the desired feathery, thick lash effect.

Try Instead DiorShow Mascara WaterproofL'Oreal Volume Collagen Mascara Waterproof, Covergirl Lash Blast Waterproof (I always get the blackest black color no matter what brand I go with)


Maybelline Dream Mousse Concealer
I didn't love this concealer because I felt like it didn't blend well into the skin and it is not long-lasting.  The texture is nice in theory, but in practice it just doesn't work for my skin.

Try instead: MAC Studio Finish SPF 35 Concealer- this is my HG concealer that I've been using for many years. The coverage is incredible and it has wonderful staying power when set with powder.

Joico K-Pak Split End Mender

This is one of those products that I just can't see a difference with when I use it.  I know nothing can repair split ends, but I just use this and can't tell any difference in the look and feel of my hair.


Try Instead: Redken SatinWear 02 Blowdry Lotion-  it's not a split-end formula but it's good for smoothing and preventing heat-styling damage.


TreSemme 24 Hour Body  Root Boosting Spray

I think I am partial to foam products for volume enhancement which is why I didn't love this. I don't dislike this product and think it actually works pretty well, but I have volumizers I enjoy much more so I would pass on a repurchase.  If you prefer spray-on volume formulas to mousse or foam, this might be a good choice for you.

Try InsteadRedken Guts 10 Volume Spray Foam, Redken Full Frame 07 Protective Volumizing Mousse


I hope this post was helpful!  Do you ladies have any products you won't repurchase?  Please share them in the comments below and tell us why!

xoxo,

Veronika.

PS-  there will definitely be some weekend shopping tomorrow!  I have an appointment to get my hair trimmed and then it's off to boot and coat shopping for our Paris trip!