Blog Archive

Monday, May 31, 2010

The Best Birthday Present: A New Bed from West Elm

Last night my husband and I disassembled our old bed and slept on our boxspring and mattress. It was the best sleep I've had in awhile...I was probably super exhausted from pool days and birthday celebrations.

We picked up our new bed today and though our room makeover is not 100% complete, the result is beautiful. I can't wait to show it to you (thanks for helping us pick up our bed in your truck, Todd!)

Here's what we got for the room:
3. West Elm Rope Circles Decorative Satin Pillow (these are from the same line we used on our couch)
4.  West Elm White Lacquer Tray (I used this to display and hold my jewelry)
7. Z Gallerie Silver Dollar Floral accents (I need to get more of these, I'm obsessed! They are only $2.95 a stem!)

Here's what our bedroom looked like before (the old bed frame was from JC Penny- it's a replica of a Pottery Barn bed, I believe.)




 Now to the AFTER photos:


 Phew! That's a lot of pictures (you can click to enlarge if you want to see more detail.)

I really love the new bed and we are both thrilled to have gotten rid of the foot board! Can't wait to sleep in it tonight :)

I'd still love to add a few accents to our bedroom including mirrored side tables, a large mirror above the dresser and other little touches, but those will all come with time :)

I was iffy about the duvet cover we bought, but I absolutely LOVE it. Once it was on the bed I just felt it was perfection. I wanted white, but I also wanted something with texture so it would be a little more interesting.  I knew the guy from West Elm was right! He was also the one who encouraged me to go with the white bed frame when others told me to go with the dark brown. I am SO happy we got the white. It's modern, fresh and adds brightness to the room.

I chose darker bed sheets because I like the way it contrasts with the white duvet. I also like how the dark gray bedsheets match the headboard. I think it all balances out beautifully.

Overall, I just love the direction our bedroom is going in. It was the most neglected room of our home and I'm just really happy we finally made our room more "us."  It just feels clean and fresh and airy now. More elegant too.  When we first moved into our home, we couldn't afford to get new everything right away, so we started with things we had before and bought some inexpensive furniture. Now, 3 years later, we are finally on our way to having the home we always hoped for. 

I really feel like the way your home looks can affect your happiness levels. I love coming home everyday and seeing things I love and having a serene and relaxing room to sleep in. I'm a very visual and detail-oriented person, so every little touch of decor makes a difference to me. 

Thank you so much for reading and thank you to my lovely husband for such an amazing birthday present! <3

xoxo,

Veronika.