Monday, August 16, 2010

Dressing Your Age: Do You? Join the Discussion.


Today I read an article in the LA Times about Ann Taylor changing their look to become more modern and also to target younger shoppers.  Here are some excerpts from that piece:

The women's apparel chain is trying to shake its "Corporate Cathy" image with the help of a design overhaul, updated stores and a new celebrity spokeswoman — Naomi Watts — all in a bid to appeal to younger, more stylish shoppers.

...the Ann Taylor wardrobe has gone from head-to-toe suit looks to more fashion-forward separates with feminine details.


Lisa Axelson, the woman in charge of giving Ann Taylor a fresh, new look is a 38-year-old mom-to-be...."...I never would have gone to Ann Taylor," says Axelson, who has been creative director and senior vice president of design for nearly two years. "It was too conservative."

"We were all surprised she [Axelson] went to Ann Taylor because it seemed very old," says Helen Farnell, a designer for Express, who has worked with Axelson on and off for 10 years. "But she has brought in a lot of modern elements. I've never seen the stores looking so good. I've even gone in and bought things, which I never would have done before."

I also enjoyed this part about other retailers copying J. Crew:


If it all sounds a bit familiar, it's because it is. Ann Taylor, like so many other retailers, is trying to pull a J. Crew — whipping up clothes that can be dressed up or down, sprinkling in an aura of affordable luxury, and a dash of ruffles and bows, in hopes that it adds up to fashion magic. "Everyone is using J. Crew's [design] themes. You're seeing it at Talbots and even Gap to a certain extent, because they are all trying to get business back. Soon Costco will be selling ruffles," Tunick says.

This article and some recent comments on my Formspring page got me thinking- do you really think about brands and what age they are targeted to, or do you simply buy pieces you love?

I know a lot of bloggers shop at every store from Neiman Marcus to Charlotte Russe.  It's the mixing and matching of the high and low that inspires me so much. It's making an outfit look expensive- when it's not.  That's what I love to see on blogs- how can I make this $20 shirt look like it cost $100 by mixing in key pieces, pricey or not?

In fact, I was so in love with Chloe and Couture and Crayon's recent styling of a $20 Charlotte Russe lace top that I just had to get it for myself- and it arrived on my doorstep today.  I didn't think of the brand or how much it cost. I just saw how great it looked and based my purchase decision on that factor alone.

I've never been a huge brands person. I just buy what I like and what appeals to me. I love designers and brands, but I enjoy being inspired by them instead of striving to own designer pieces.  Sure I love a designer piece here and there (after all, I did just buy the MbMJ bag) but it's not a focus for me (though they say once you start buying designer, you become obsessed...we'll see.)

Thanks to the people who posted the comments that inspired this post. [The comments] were about the fact that I shop at Victoria's Secret PINK and that I got a Marc by Marc Jacobs bag (and not just "Marc Jacobs.")  I think those comments brought up an interesting point- do you shop for your age? SHOULD you shop for your age?

Before Ann Taylor transformed their brand, creating younger more trend-based pieces, should every woman over 30 have shopped there? 

Do women who wear clothes they think they should wear for their age have the same confidence in themselves as someone who dresses how they love without regard to age?  After all, isn't that how MOM JEANS happened (really, who do those flatter? no one! Who decided once you're a mom you have to stop dressing cute and only wear unflattering jeans? No thank you!)

To be honest, the comments took me by surprise. I'm not offended by them- I think they generate an interesting discussion.  I guess I was surprised because yes, I do shop at Victoria's Secret PINK- for lounge wear and PJ's...not to wear to work or out of the house.  Yes, I'll throw on a VS PINK tee once in awhile to go to the gym, but other than that, I just wear it as sleep and lounge wear.  Is that "not dressing my age?"  I'm not really sure.  I like VS PINK because the colors are bright and fun and the clothes are comfy and IMO, of decent quality.  Yes, the line is targeted at college students, I'm 100% aware of this...but it's cute and comfy, so why not? Especially if you're wearing it in the privacy of your own home.

Do you think about the stores you shop in and the brands you buy in relation to your age? Does it affect your decision, or do you simply buy garments based purely on how they look on you and how they appeal to you? 

Personally, I buy based on what I like and what I feel suits my style. Whether that item is from Target, Express, Forever21 or Charlotte Russe, it doesn't affect my decision. I just buy what I like with very little regard for what age group the brand or store targets.  I thought this was how everyone shopped, but I'm coming to realize this isn't the case.

There was a critique recently that I should have bought a bag from Marc Jacob's line and NOT the Marc by Marc Jacob's line because that one was targeted at younger women.  I guess at 27 I never considered myself outside of that target market, but I guess some people do and that's OK (after all I'm "nearly 30!" GASP!) 

I also wasn't aware most girls in their late teens and very early 20's bought $400 handbags, but I guess I am behind the times, as at 27, this was my first handbag that cost that much. I used to buy $50 bags from Aldo and loved them...so what do I know?

When I bought my MbMJ bag, I didn't even THINK about what brand it was. I just saw the simple structure of the bag, felt the buttery leather and loved the bold color so I took the plunge.  I was asked why I didn't buy Chanel or another higher-end brand. The simple answer is that I loved the bag I bought, didn't find anything by another brand I liked as much in my price range and that I have other financial priorities that keep me from spending $2000 on a Chanel bag or other higher-end bag.

I hope this post generates a discussion about this topic because that is my intention for this post.  Yes, the post was generated by some recent criticisms, but I think everyone has the right to explain what they think about this topic as long as it's in an adult way.  I'm very curious to hear what all of your thoughts are on this topic, so please leave your thoughts, comments and opinions below.

Oh, and before I go, a quick OOTD (w/ new bag of course!)


Silk Blouse- J. Crew
Skirt- Banana Republic
Shoes- Jessica Simpson
Sweater- Express
Bag- MbMJ
xoxo,

Veronika.

PS- I forgot to add that In Style magazine has an awesome feature where they show how to wear a trend in your 20's, 30's, 40's and 50's. I love that they show how anyone can incorporate a trend while also making it more age-appropriate.