Thursday, August 19, 2010

Requested: My Hair Routine in 10 Steps (picture-heavy)


This has been a very requested post so I FINALLY remembered to leave my camera in the bathroom last night so that this morning I would think to myself "why is there a camera in my bathroom?"  and then I'd realize that I promised I would do my hair tutorial post.  Sorry it's taken me so long. Let's get started!

Step 1:  Brush your hair when you get out of the shower and apply Redken Guts 10 Volumizing Foam to your ROOTS only. Make sure you lift sections to get it close to the root. Your hair should look like this covered in the foam (and then you use a large paddle brush to brush the product into your roots)

Step 2:  Now you're ready to apply a heat protectant to the ends of your hair. Today I used a new product that I'm obsessed with by PHYTO. I use about this much: (just from the nape of my neck down to the ends, but focusing on the ends)

Step 3: Breakout your hairdryer and blowdry hair upside down using your fingers to "comb through" especially using them to lift the roots of your hair. I flip my head upside down and blow dry for a bit and then I flip it back up and use my fingers to lift at the roots as I blast it with heat. Repeat to get some of the wetness out of your hair.

Step 4: When your hair is still pretty damp, start using your medium/large round-brush to lift and shape just the FRONT and CROWN sections of your hair. Switch between doing this and blow drying upside down.

Your hair should look somewhat damp still:

Step 5: Clip the top part of your hair up when it's pretty much dry (85-90%) because now you're going to focus on getting the underneath part of your hair dry using a paddle brush. You pretty much want to blast your hair with the hairdryer as you pull the brush through to smooth your underneath hair out:

When you finish doing this and take the rest of your hair down, it should look dryer, like this (and yes I'm not wearing any makeup)

Step 6: Get your ROLLER on!  Time to break out your Velcro rollers and clips to secure your hair in them.  You'll want to part your hair how you want it to be so when you set it in rollers you can work around your part.

Step 7: This is very important. BEFORE you put in the Velcro roller, you MUST use the round brush and your hairdryer to SHAPE and SMOOTH the section of hair you are about to roll.

Step 8:  Put the first Velcro roller in your hair. The others will follow. I start at my crown in the center and then go to each side and then move to the front pieces. You'll want to secure each roller with a claw clip. I got mine at Sally Beauty Supply (they are cheap.)


Step 9: When your entire head EXCEPT for the very back pieces are rolled up, go do your makeup while your rollers "set."  Then, when your makeup is done, use a flatiron to smooth out the very small amount of hair that you didn't put in rollers.

Step 10:  Now that your makeup is done and your hair has "set" in the rollers, you are ready to remove them. When you do take them out do not touch or comb your hair. Just remove them and let the pieces fall. It should look like this:


FINISHED: I use my fingers or a paddle brush to brush just the TOP of my hair to make it smoother and fall properly.  Here is the end result!

Thanks for reading!

xoxo,

Veronika.