Sunday, August 15, 2010

My First Designer HandBag: Marc by Marc Jacobs Hillier Hobo in "Rosie"

I bought my first designer handbag today.  Well, technically, it's my third, but this is the first one I bought myself at full price.  I currently own a black Michael Kors bag that my best friend sold to me and of course my lovely Kate Spade clutch bag that I got recently from the Kate Spade outlet.

While cruising my YouTube subscriptions the other night, I came across a video by one of my favorite beauty and fashion gurus who happens to be a 14 year old girl from Austin. Yep, 14!  She has really great style, makeup tips etc, so to me, age doesn't matter as long as the content is good.

MeganHeartMakeup made a contest video recently to win a Marc Jacobs handbag. The moment I saw the bag in the video I frantically began an online search to see where I could by it. 


 
The next day (Saturday) I went to Nordstrom to check out the bag in person. It was love.  I have been so in love with my hot pink Kate Spade clutch but I know I need something bigger for everyday use.  The gorgeous Marc by Marc Jacobs Classic Q - Hillier' Hobo in the color "rosie" was the perfect bag for me.  It's simple shape and bold color (plus the gorgeous brushed-gold) accents were exactly what I was looking for.

I admired it in the store but I didn't buy it on Saturday. I wanted to do my research first and see what the quality was like etc.  One of my favorite bloggers from Strawberry Swing and Other Things recently got the black Hillier Hobo and there is a huge thread about it over on the Purse Blog forums and I just knew I had to have it.

As you all know, I love to wear a lot of black and white and this bag offers me the pop of color I need. It might not be the best color choice for someone who wears a lot of color, but for me it works. I was also able to rest-drive using a hot pink bag daily with my Kate Spade purse, so I feel confident about my choice. Plus, it totally screams "Veronika."

After contemplating this purchase all evening, I decided I would reward myself with this bag using some of the funds I made in my recent blog sales. 

I went to Nordstrom today at the Houston Galleria and got my lovely bag...and here it is:

and here it is on me:


The hot pink of this bag is a little more magenta/a true hot pink than my Kate Spade bag:

I believe they size I got is the small/medium.  I know the Hillier Hobo is also available in a larger size, but honestly, this size is perfect for me. Not too big, not too small. I am not sure if the color "rosie" is available in the larger size, but there are other styles of bags available in the same color including the MARC BY MARC JACOBS 'Classic Q - Little Ukita' Convertible Crossbody Bag
.

I also used two Victoria's Secret coupons I got in the mail this week.  They were each for $10 off any purchase and a free pair of ruched panties.  I ended up getting a VS PINK PJ set and two pairs of cute undies all for under $15 (all together it would have cost nearly $40 without the coupons.)  The PJ set came with a cute v-neck tee and striped leggings:

The leggings also say "PINK" on the bum in hot pink letters (of course, LOL.)

By the way, I've gotten some requests to show more casual outfit of the days so here's I'm wearing in the above photos:
American Eagle BoyFit denim shorts
Zara extra-long striped tee (bought on Saturday, $25)
Forever 21 Necklace
Old Navy Flip Flops

What was your first designer handbag purchase? Do you still have it or use it today?  Were you nervous buying your first designer bag? Let me know in the comments below!

xoxo,

Veronika.