Monday, November 22, 2010

It's Been Awhile: My Trip to Slovakia


I know it's only been about 5 days, but it feels like forever since I've written here.

I am back from Slovakia, safe and sound with a little jet lag and a lot of lower back pain (I'll explain that later.)

My trip was nice, even under the sad circumstances.  It was so great to see my family members that I hadn't seen in about 18 years.  The last time many of us saw each other in person was when I was nine years old.  It was great to see everyone as adults and just reconnect.

My grandmother's funeral was really beautiful and a wonderful tribute to her life.  Everyone constantly talked about her beautiful, bright smile. That's how I remember her.  To be honest with you all, I still don't believe she's actually gone.  They had a viewing for family before the actual ceremony and I didn't go. I want to remember her alive, radiant and happy (the way I've always known her.)  Even as the closed casket was right in front of us at the funeral, I just didn't believe she was in there.  It's like I know she's gone, but I believe that she's still with me.  I don't know if that makes sense.

There were SO many flowers at the funeral. Gorgeous flowers. And so many people who loved her. She really did touch a lot of lives---even some of her students were there (she was a professor). I'm just really happy I got to be there with my family at a time where it was important for all of us to come together.

Here are a few shots of various family members and I:

and some pictures of the amazingly gorgeous historical buildings in Bratislava



So beautiful, huh? I just love seeing architecture like that.

On my last day in Slovakia I got to go horseback riding with my Godfather (who uh, doesn't believe in God).  It was so awesome and I feel lucky to have spent the time with him. He's a cool guy.  He has two horses so we each rode one. I think the last time I was on a horse was when I was 12 years old at Girl Guide camp.  We didn't go fast (thank God!) just a nice, long walk. That's where the back pain comes in. My Godfather warned me to keep my back loose but I guess I stiffened up a bit and that, combined with 12 hours on a plane gave me some pretty icky pain in my lower left back.

Behold my fashionable attire (obviously sarcastic):


Oh yes people!  I was full on pushing the lines of fashion. I was in Sahara (one of the horse's) stables brushing her to get the dirt off (yes, really!!!) and my Godfather was like "you have dirt on your forehead." I was totally roughing it people. Roughing it! On a FARM!

I also saw my uncle who's an artist---he's incredibly talented...and look what he made years and years ago:

Yes indeed, that's me as a baby! Look at that cute little chubby-ness.  My uncle apparently used to take me and just sculpt while I laid there as his model. Hehe. This particular piece was at my grandmother's sisters house where I stayed.  My mom also has a sculpture of my head that my uncle made at her house.

Before I go for the night, thank you again to all of the awesome people who sent emails, messages and formspring comments with your condolences and support. It really helped me get through this tough time. Thanks for being patient while I took this time to be with family <3.

xoxo,

Veronika.