Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Understanding Portion Size: My Fit Foods Taught Me a Good Lesson

Thank you so much for everyone who gave me boot suggestions in my last post! I loved quite a few of them and plan to continue my search this weekend. I'm going to bring UGGS, stylish (sleek-looking) running shoes, my JS boots and hopefully a new pair of flat boots with me to Europe so that I'll have a good variety of shoes to wear.

Nordstrom is having their half yearly sale this weekend so I plan to check out the offerings there as well. 

In addition to returning the CR boots I think I'm also returning the sweater I bought at Nordstrom Rack. I've tried to wear it this week and I'm just not in love with it when I try it on again so back it goes. I'm glad I keep my receipts because I always keep tags on everything until I wear it "just in case." Sometimes I get on a roll when I'm shopping and I love something in the store and then I just get home and can't make it work or don't feel as in love with it.  That's OK, that's what return policies are for.

Onto another topic...yesterday my workout partner recommended that I try "My Fit Foods."  It's a company that has stores featuring prepared meals that are all perfectly portioned, healthy and made with fresh ingredients.  It's basically the perfect solution for people who are really busy or don't want to cook because all you have to do is heat up the meal and it's ready to go (they are NOT frozen though). Every single meal has calorie and other nutritional information on the label so you know exactly what you're getting.  It's a little expensive, but it's nice to have once in awhile when you're crunched on time or don't feel like getting groceries.

I had someone at My Fit Foods help me pick out a few meals and I was shocked when he gave me these tiny containers for lunch and dinner meals.  I said they were too small and he said unless you're very active, you don't need to eat more than that.

I was totally in denial...but sure enough, I got home, heated up the chili and after eating it, I was satisfied, even after a tough workout.

This was a real wake up call for me as far as understanding portion sizes. I think the small cartons look like they hardly have any food in them, but once you start eating it really is a satisfying meal.  I had the chicken taco bowl today for lunch and was also full from it. It was just simple chicken, rice, black beans and pico. It was really tasty.

I think if anything, this experience allowed me to see what kind of portions I should be eating and it proved to me that even though it doesn't look like a lot of food, it still fills me up incredibly. I hate to admit this, but sometimes I eat until I'm so full it hurts a bit.  I also eat really quickly which is so horrible for me, I know.  One of my goals is to learn to eat more slowly and to listen to my body when I feel full and just stop eating.

Have you ever tried a food service like My Fit Foods?  Let me know in the comments below!

xoxo,

Veronika.