Tuesday, November 23, 2010

My Top Mascara Picks: Dior, L'Oreal, CoverGirl and Make Up For Ever

I've been on a roll lately with my product reviews so I thought I would continue my review-a-thon with a post about my favorite mascaras.  Plural, because, uh, I love too many of them to choose just one.


From L-R
(please note that I only use waterproof mascaras. I don't like any formulas that aren't waterproof)

Cover Girl Lash Blast Mascara, Waterproof, Very Black

The CG Lash Blast is a great mascara overall. I wouldn't say it's my favorite of all of the ones I own, but I love it. It goes on nicely, doesn't clump and defines, thickens and lengthens lashes. It's a great bet if you're trying to find a great drugstore mascara. I tend to like a dry formula and this is dry, but not as dry as some of the other mascaras I love.

DiorShow Iconic Mascara, Waterproof, Black
This mascara, in my opinion works best on the lower lashes.  I actually only use it for that. There's something about the way the brush is shaped and the formula that is just an excellent fit for defining those lower lashes. it stays on all day, doesn't budge and creates separated, pretty lower lashes without clumps.  Like I mentioned, I don't use this on my upper lashes, because I find other formulas work better for that.  The brush is similar to the lash blast in that it's that rubbery plastic material with those stubby-like bristles.

DiorShow Mascara, Waterproof, Black
DiorShow was the first luxury mascara I ever bought.  I think the massive brush is what makes this a standout product (it also has a rose water smell but after awhile you don't notice it at all.)  I think this mascara has everything you'd want in a mascara- length, staying power, thickness.  It really creates those long, lush lashes we all hope for.  It takes some getting used to at first because the brush is so big, but it's worth it!

L'Oreal Volume Collagen Mascara, Waterproof, Blackest Black

This mascara is definitely a Holy Grail one for me.  It really creates very full, thick, lovely lashes.  The brush is different---the bristles are kind of all over the place going in different directions which I think it why this mascara really gives a gorgeous look to the lashes.  I can achieve thickness with this mascara in just one coat.  I like big hair, and I like big lashes---and this delivers---volume, thickness and overall just perfect lashes. This is a must-try, IMO.

Make Up For Ever Aqua Smoky Lash, Waterproof, Black
My newest addition, this mascara surprised me (pleasantly.)  I was a little skeptical but after reading all of the rave reviews I just had to try it during Sephora's F&F 20% off sale.  I'm so glad I did.  Out of all of my mascaras, this one definitely gives the most "feathery" lash look. I also notice that it seems to hold curl in my lashes really well.  It doesn't give quite the thickness of some other formulas I use...but it more than makes up for it because of the unique, soft, feathered appearance it gives to lashes. I'm not really sure how this formula creates that look---maybe the brush or the mascara itself, but I really do enjoy it and am glad I purchased it.
I hope this entry was helpful to anyone looking for a new mascara, or on the fence about trying a new product. What are YOUR favorite mascaras?  Share them in the comments below :)

xoxo,

Veronika.